The annual YSL friends & family sale/ sample sale seems to have become a big deal. We have never been big fans considering the large amount of aggressive customers and the merchandise consisting of marked-up outlet holdovers.
This year, the sale will take place from Thursday, October 28 to Saturday, October 27. For those who have never attended, here's a guide to what you can expect and how to best navigate the madness.
1. The early crowed is reportedly overrun with aggressive men looking to stock their eBay stores. If you're looking to get your hands on a fresh Muse or Tribute tote we suggest getting there VERY early. We also big supporters of hiring a line waiter from Craig's List. (It's amazing what $10/hour can buy you.)
2. If you make it into the sale with the first rush, expect lots of pushing and pulling. Women, last year, complained about men grabbing dozens of bags without even considering what they were holding. Another customer said that shoppers were ripping bags from each other's hands. Bag prices range from $450 to $800 but many were damaged and dirty.
3. The merchandise selection is mainly two to three years old. So start looking through 2007 and 2008 archive photos to get inspired. Read-to-wear prices were the most attractive. Readers reported buying a military jacket for $200, an oversized cashmere sweater for $250, a cashmere dress for $300 and a $50 belt.
4. Like most sample sales, there is a calm at about 3pm. Shoppers reported no lines and a less hostile shopping experience during the afternoon hours.
5. If you can, wait it out because prices do get reduced on the last day.
YSL Sample Sale
Thursday, October 28 through Saturday, October 30
Thurs & Fri 8am to 8pm, Fri 9am to 4pm
Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 West 18th Street
All bags and coats must be checked before entering