Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pre-Christmas Department Store Overview

Christmas is just six days away and the ca-ching of cash registers is going strong. Although boutique sales seem to be stronger than past years, it's the department stores that are truly signing jolly tunes. Unfortunately, a retailer's cheer is often associated with the discount shoppers lament.

This season, we are seeing slower markdowns and less items on the discount list. Have no fear, there are still sales from which to take advantage. Here is a rundown of the current department store landscape. We will be sure to update you as sale news occurs.

Barneys: A second markdown started just this week. Many designer items are now 60% off regular prices. Prices online still seem to be stuck at 40% off. As usual, we suggest shopping in person or calling the store to get the best deal.

Bergdorf Goodman: The discount is still just 30% off. Historically, Bergdorf's is the last and slowest to markdown their merchandise. The upshot is that they have the most inventory at the tail of the season. We will keep our eyes open as prices get adjusted.

Bloomingdales: It seems as if Bloomingdales is always running a sale. Keeping up with all the discounts is sometimes the most difficult part. Bloomies took their first markdown around Thanksgiving and has been adding extra incentives since. Sale items and clearance are now an additional 40% off and if you use your Bloomingdales card you will get an extra 15% off. Total savings is about 65% on many items.

Saks: The designer sale started on December 7 with a 30% discount on shoes and items for men. Women's clothing was 40% off. Although the discount isn't stellar, there is a nice assortment of discount Chanel shoes. Of all the department stores, Saks is usually the most aggressive with its markdowns. The slowdown in reductions is likely a good sign for shareholders.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I'm curious to see what the after Christmas sales will look like. I have a little sticker shot. I've been buying most of my clothes on sale since the prices have doubled and tripled on most items. A basic day dress can run pre-sale 1200-1500+ now. Dont get me started on shoes. Happy holidays

Anonymous said...

How about sale Chanel bags? Are there any left at Bergdorfs or Saks? Were there any seasonal leather bags on sale?

Anonymous said...

Saks had a few Chanel on Friday night, but nothing that exciting. I heard BG has some patent totes in black or red left too and they are 40% off.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

As for Barneys, you have to talk to salesperson. They can presale what you want now.

Anonymous said...

i called barneys to ask about the 60% off yesterday (i have my eye on a céline coat) and the woman on the phone said that only the co-op had been marked down that much and the rest of the store was still 40%... she may have been misinformed? or was trying to play it super cool?

also, when i was in there last week, there weren't many nice shoes on sale yet. all of the really great looking shoes (most of the lanvins...) were still full price.

Johanna + Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

barneys is 60 off starting tommorow on most of the sale items.

Anonymous said...

Barneys is 60 off today. It was only coop before. The sales person told you the truth. There's a lot left, but the iconic pieces from many lines are gone. Also, if you have a relationship with a salesperson ( buy full price at the beginning of the season) you will be invited to private sales. I've been invited to many sales at stores that supposedly aren't discounting or are offering low discounts.

I would also encourage everyone to enjoy the holidays. Avoid the stores and spend time with your loved ones or go away and relax.