Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Chanel Pricing: Up, Down or Unchanged

We have heard several rumors and fielded many email about a November Chanel price hike. We called around to the department stores and got the usual mixed messages. (Pushy sales people always like pushing a sale based on a foreboding price hike.)

This time we reached out to the big guns for official comment because even a 10% price hike can be several hundred dollars. So the official word is ...drum roll please...



"Chanel has no plans to increase prices for the time being, even if we regularly adjust our prices in line with changes in styles, production costs, materials and volatile exchange rates, similarly to other top luxury brands."

After breathing a sigh of relief we have to float a question to our readers: What do you think is meant by adjusting prices similarly to other top luxury brands? We have our theories but would love to hear what you have to say.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think chanel means Hermes, etc it's reaching for those prices

Anonymous said...

a little off topic, but I am looking to get my first (!) Chanel bag and remember there are sales in January. Is that right and are the classic black quilted styles EVER included in the sale?

Anonymous said...

Those styles are never on sale. Make friends with a sales associate and ask them to call you when the sale starts

Anonymous said...

About how much are the classic large flap bags now?

Anonymous said...

The jumbo is around 4k

Anonymous said...

thanks, ladies!

Alicia said...

Hi, I think it means they will adjust their prices if the other guys raise their prices.
I just found your website. I, too, am getting ready to purchase my first Chanel handbag. I didn't even know there was a waiting list! I would like to get the 2.55 regular, not jumbo. So, do only some retail stores sell them? Saks, Neiman's, Bloomingdale's? I live in San Diego, so none of the stores out here even cary them, but I will be going to Los Angeles over thanks giving and will be in Dallas over Christmas, so I'm thinking I will look around there. I'll admit I'm a little intimidated to go into the actual boutique and thought at least I would browse at the department stores. Any advise/tip on my first purchase?? I wouldn't mind a "used" one, but it seems like those are hard to come by too. Thank you!! I'm signing up for your emails.

Anonymous said...

chanel has raised their prices to make the brand seem more valuable and exclusive since Hermes bags were much more expensive even just a couple years before the last chanel price increase. Hermes classic styles are still A LOT more expensive than [most]classic chanel bags

Anonymous said...

there are a few legit used Chanel webpages you can go to. Fashionphile.com seems to be the most legit from what I can tell. You can get the classic chanel flap for a decent deal, but alot of them have the gold rather than silver as it seems that was more prevelant in general. Bag Borrow or Steals has a private sale section now which also is legit. The selection isnt as good as Fashionphile though, but prices are also pretty good. Prob never going to find the classic black with silver on these for much of a discount, but if your willing to be alittle flexible with color, I have seen quite a few decent deals...